Friday, April 23, 2010

by hook and granny....

Well, it's official!  I have started my Reynolds "Saucy Cotton" afghan!  I've been thinking about starting it for a long time now, (very, very long time I must add) and I've started.  I feel like celebrating and buying more yarn!  After all, my stash is down...

Instead of the regular crocheted granny squares, I'm crocheting hexagon granny squares....

The first one....it had to have purple in it! 


The second one....

The third one....

And the work in progress....


The pattern I was looking at from the Ravelry website (which is awesome!) called for 39 hexies...only 35ish more to go!

My Grandma Ericson was a big influence in my love for handcrafts...especially crocheting.  She did knit some, but the crocheting was easier for her.  Many afternoons when I came home from school, she would be making squares for another afghan while watching her soaps (Days of Our Lives and Another World).  When she wasn't crocheting, she was doing crewel embroidery.  My mom and I have a lot of her pictures she made.  Each one is special to both of us.  I think Grandma taught me to crochet when I was maybe 7 or 8?  (A long, long time ago, that much I know).  I felt so honored to go through her scrap yarn bag to pick out some yarns for squares.  She would also let me go through her old "WorkBasket" magazines.  I wish I had hung on to those.

There I go reminiscing again (I tend to do that alot).  But crocheting makes me feel "warm and fuzzy" I guess.

Tomorrow is going to be a different day for me.  I have been chatting with one of my old friends from Grammar School (Pomfret Community School) and we are to meet for a reunion with a couple of others from grammar school.  I have not seen these people since 8th grade!  That was 28 years ago.  God, am I OLD!  But I'm really looking forward to it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment