Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A sad day....

Got some not so good news this morning. My uncle, Louis Ericson, (my mom's brother) passed away at UMASS last night. He was 79. He went into the hospital this past weekend and never really recovered.

My uncle didn't have an easy life. He had two strokes 40 years ago, and has had his share of illnesses. But one thing about Uncle Louie, he never, ever complained. How he managed to continue life after those series of strokes....he was a strong man.

Uncle Louie worked and wrote for the Norwich Bulletin. Another person who recently passed away was Bill Stanley, another Norwich Bulletin writer. My uncle and Mr. Stanley were good friends.

They say bad things happen in threes: First, Mr. Stanley; second, Mervin Whipple (Mr. Christmas to people around here), and then my uncle.

So today was a hard day. I wasn't really weepy; just numb. And I was worried about my mom. Uncle Louie and my mom were close, even though there was a 12 year age difference. And with it being so close to when my dad passing away in 2008, I can't imagine what she's feeling.

It's hard to let someone go - I know I wanted my grandmother, my aunt, and especially my dad to be here forever. But then when I look back and see the suffering and pain they went through, I don't want to see them in that kind of pain. I rather see them happy and full of life: my grandmother working in the biggest flower garden ever, my aunt and my grandmother on the biggest shopping spree of a lifetime (and they could shop, mind you!) and my dad owning the biggest farm in the world, riding the biggest tractor and owning as many cows as he wants. No pain, no suffering. There has to be a heaven!

And I know Uncle Louie is in heaven too. He's there with his wife and all his friends and family. After dealing with the after effects of his strokes for 40+ years, he deserves to be pain free and worry free. He is no longer in pain, and that is a blessing.

Dedicated to my uncle, Louis Ericson

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry, Nancy! But I think you're right. There is a someplace else, where we go on existing in our happiest most content states.

    Thinking about you-- jan

    ReplyDelete